2012 Educational Grants
The Community Foundation of West Alabama (CFWA) recently issued grants to area teachers. These grants were issued from the educational fund within the CFWA. Seven different schools in the West Alabama area received funding.
- Central High School
- Central High School Show Choir students have been invited to compete in a national coral competition during the weekend of the 2013 Presidential Inauguration.
- Duncanville Middle School
- Purchase 3 microscopes for Science class.
- Westwood Elementary School
- Purchase levels 1, 2 & 3 of Rosetta Stone for English Language Learner students. The enrollment is approximately 20 students in grades Kindergarten through 5th Grade.
- Westlawn Middle School
- Help fund the cost of instrument repairs for the School Band Program
- Verner Elementary School
- Colonial Day Activity for 100 students.
- Northridge High School
- Purchase items to help create a Model United Nations for the 1250 students.
- Holt Elementary School
- Purchase 9 sets of picture book classroom library bins.
2012 Fall Grants
- Angel Flight
- Funds 4 missions for West Alabama patients who need lifesaving medical treatment that is not available in their local area.
- Child Abuse Prevention Services
- This program will provide personal safety education for all First Grade students in Tuscaloosa and Hale Counties to teach skills for avoiding victimization.
- Junior Achievement
- Provide Economics for Success in Grades 6 through 9, which explores personal finance & students educations & career options based on their skills, interests and values,. Teaches students how to manage finances.
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Provide children ages 6 – 17 the opportunity to attend summer camp and experience activities they don’t normally get to participate in.
- Northwest Regional Lab
- This grant would cover the postal expenses in the Lamar County area for patrons who are physically unable to come to the Library. This would help increase the books-by-mail service provided to the Lamar County patrons.
- Literacy Council of West Alabama
- Provide age appropriate books for the Habitat for Humanity homes in the Alberta City area.
- Tuscaloosa Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy
- To provide prevention education in the County and City school systems.
- Tuscaloosa Half Marathon
- Help fund a marathon with half of the proceeds going to Read Bama Read and the other half going to the Kiwanis Club of Greater Tuscaloosa.
- Southern Diabetes Education Services
- Program helps children manage blood sugar levels though education and proper tools to help with quality of life. Existing programs are geared toward adults with diabetes, with little or no opportunities for children. This program provides a “Camp Sugar Falls” for children with Type I Diabetes.
2012 Spring Grants
The recipients of the spring grants are:The Community Foundation of West Alabama awarded grants to six area nonprofit groups recently. These grants were funded by the Pelham D. and Anna Brown Endowment Fund. This fund was established in 2005 and through a twice yearly grant cycle has provided in excess of $113,000 support to local agencies. The Community Foundation of West Alabama is a charitable organization which supports various cultural, health, social and educational programs in Bibb, Fayette, Greene, Hale, Lamar, Marengo, Pickens, Sumter, and Tuscaloosa counties. In its 13 year existence, the CFWA has given almost $9.5 million to charitable causes.
- Focus on Senior Citizens
- Kings Ranch
- The Children’s Center
- St.Peter AME Zion Church Youth Employment Program
- The Jemison-Van de Graff Mansion